Viewing Tip

If you see a large "X" at the top right of Ask Olive Tree Genealogy blog, click on the "X" to close it. Closing the "X" will give you the best viewing experience and allow you to leave a comment on a blog post



Thursday, November 5, 2015

Wildcards are Your Friend

Hillary asked about Henry Bolton. I had to edit the email as it was very well written but too long for this blog:

I need assistance locating immigration/migration records for my gr-gr-grandfather Henry Arthur Bolton and my gr-gr-grandmother Emily Meyrick.

The problem is, I don't know exactly when Henry immigrated to Canada from England, or when he migrated from Canada to the United States.  In the US census records his immigration date changes; 1900 census states 1875, 1910 census states 1871, 1920 census states 1872.

What I do know is he married Emily Jane Meyrick on October 14 1886 is Worcester Massachusetts.  His marriage record states his parents names as George and Elizabeth.  At the time of his marriage his age is listed as "25".  He died in Massachusetts May 14, 1942 (My grandmother was 19 years old)

What my Grandmother has told me is Henry immigrated to Canada with an older brother.  Upon arrival in Canada the brothers parted ways and never saw each other again.  The name of the older brother is not known.  In the US census records his immigration date changes; 1900 census states 1875, 1910 census states 1871, 1920 census states 1872. 
Prussian June 1869 Liverpool to Quebec
Hillary, I may have found your Henry. Searching Ancestry using wildcards (B*lt*n) to compensate for variant spellings I found a ships passenger list for the Prussian, arriving in Quebec in June 1869 with the following family:


George Boulton [sic] 48, farmer
Mrs. [sic] 46, wife
John James, 14 son
Henry 11 child
Arthur 5 child

You might be able to find this family in the 1870 American or 1871 Canadian Census. I would have a good hunt for all of the individuals on this passenger list to try to verify this is your Henry or eliminate him as your Great-Great-grandfather.



No comments:

Post a Comment