I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how to find info on a person who is buried in the Colborne Township Cemetery Ontario ? This cemetery is online with photos of the headstones. However the stone for the person that I am researching only has the year of birth and the year of death. I am trying to find the names of his parents but with out an exact date of date it is difficult to find an obit etc. His name is Clayton Steels . By the stone he we born in 1920 and died in 2005. I was hoping that a local Genealogy Society had a clipping file by year and name or something. Any ideas.
Olive Tree Response: Deb - there are several ways you could try to find Clayton's parents' names
1. Send for his birth registration (assuming he was born in Ontario). You can request a search by contacting the Office of the Registrar General.
2. Hunt for an obituary or ask on a mailing list if anyone has access to the 2005 newspapers for the area where he lived and died
3. Write to the cemetery where Clayton is buried and request any information they have.
4. Check out the other STEELS family members who are buried in that same cemetery. There's a very good chance they are all related. In fact I see that James Steels (1881-1947) would be a good age to have a son born 1920. James' wife was Anna (1888-1969), her name is on his stone. Just something to take a look at.
5. If all the above ideas fail, take heart because in six years the 1920 Ontario births will be available to the public.
Good luck, I hope your quest is successful.