Viewing Tip

If you see a large "X" at the top right of Ask Olive Tree Genealogy blog, click on the "X" to close it. Closing the "X" will give you the best viewing experience and allow you to leave a comment on a blog post



Sunday, June 21, 2009

Finding an Australian Ships Passenger List

Noami asked:
My Mother Dallas Kathleen Wort born 7th February 1897 in Warwick left UK to come to Australia to Marry my Father Evelyn Thomas Pepper who was in the Australian Army. she travelled on the SS Bahia Castillo via Panama Canal. I have a copy of the Christmas Day breakfast menu but cannot find her on any passenger lists. Could you please help.

Hi Naomi, it was not clear to me exactly what you wanted to find about your mother from your first email so I was very glad to see this second one arrive in my inbox a few minutes later!

Here are a few websites that may help you in your search:

Passenger records for South Australian ports prior to 1941 are held by State Records of South Australia. The Adelaide office holds microfilm copies of passenger lists for several Australian ports. If you click on the link in the sentence above you can read what ports or arrival are available.

I would also check Cora Num's Immigration into Australia: Online Indexes and Passenger Lists to find what is available online.

No comments:

Post a Comment