Viewing Tip

If you see a large "X" at the top right of Ask Olive Tree Genealogy blog, click on the "X" to close it. Closing the "X" will give you the best viewing experience and allow you to leave a comment on a blog post

Monday, August 24, 2009

Finding Private Grimes

Denise's question:
I am looking for a Private H Grimes who was a part of the 79th Cameron Highlandes of Canada in WW1. He wrote to his cousin (my g aunt) in 1915 stating that he was about to be shipped to the front. I would like to find his war records. Can you suggest where I might look.

Olive Tree Answer: Denise you are in luck. The CEF (Canadian Expeditionary Force) database is searchable online. There you can search for your Private Grimes, and view his Attestation Papers.

These are only the tip of the iceberg however! To see his full file, you must send for the records from LAC (Library & Archives Canada) for a very reasonable fee. You do this right on the website where you search. Just choose SEARCH HELP and then How to order a copy of a complete service file

To search other WW1 databases, see The Canadian Military Heritage Project and click on World War One.

No comments:

Post a Comment