Viewing Tip

If you see a large "X" at the top right of Ask Olive Tree Genealogy blog, click on the "X" to close it. Closing the "X" will give you the best viewing experience and allow you to leave a comment on a blog post



Monday, November 16, 2009

Looking for a town in Germany

Sally's Question:
My 4great grandmother came to America in 1876 as a young girl from Bohemia or Prussia. The country of origin on one census is Bohemia, and on the other census I have for her she says she is from Prussia. We have a letter in the family which says that "Emil has gone back to Nicholasburg" I have looked all over Germany and Bohemia and cant find anything that sounds like Nicholasburg. Where can I look?

Olive Tree Answer: Hi Sally, The best way to find a town in Eastern Europe is through the JewishGen Town Finder. This is not just for Jewish families. Being curious I had a look and my search there turned up Mikulov in Moravia, German name Nikolsburg. Moravia (Morven, Moldau) was part of Czecholaovakia (Bohemia) and of the Austro Hungarian Empire.

No comments:

Post a Comment