Viewing Tip

If you see a large "X" at the top right of Ask Olive Tree Genealogy blog, click on the "X" to close it. Closing the "X" will give you the best viewing experience and allow you to leave a comment on a blog post



Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Writing a Good Query

Mary's Question:
I have a brickwall in locating Benjamin Laurence there between 1800 and 1815. He had 3 children born in Georgia and the children state in subsequent censuses in TN that their father was born in NC. I would appreciate your help very much.


Olive Tree Answer: Dear Mary,
I would like to help you but you have not given me much to go on. I chose to publish your query so I could respond for other genealogists to see what detail is required before submitting a query for a response. You may want to follow these guidelines before posting to a mailing list or writing privately to contacts, as well as here on AskOliveTree. It is always a good idea to include dates, locations and full names of all individuals. See Good Query Bad Query for more suggestions. Meantime, here are my specific questions for you:

1. When are the first and last appearances of Benjamin Laurence?

2. What is his spouses' name?

3. What are those childrens' names and where and when were they born?

4. Did you follow those children of Benjamin's until their obituaries and probate records?

No comments:

Post a Comment