Viewing Tip

If you see a large "X" at the top right of Ask Olive Tree Genealogy blog, click on the "X" to close it. Closing the "X" will give you the best viewing experience and allow you to leave a comment on a blog post



Thursday, March 25, 2010

Copy Genealogy FIndings Accurately!

Bud wrote to say
Thank You, Louise. You were right on target on my Holman search. I need guidance in finding marriage and remarriage records. Are they on line? Assume Calgary Alberta , Canada. After 1914. Surnames sought; Holman to Patterson, Holman to Franklin, Franklin to Frazier. How and where does one go to find such records especially when one know virtually no facts, nor how to search in Canada.

OLIVE TREE ANSWER: Bud, we all make mistakes. You may have a very good reason for calling me Louise. But I have to take this opportunity to point out one of my very big pet peeves - genealogists who can't copy names down correctly.

Sorry to center you out but my name is not Louise, it's Lorine.

It's on this blog.

It's on the email response I send to everyone who writes to AskOliveTree.

As genealogists one of the most important things we need to do is COPY facts correctly. Copying things exactly as we see them, not how we think they should be, is number one in my genealogy book of unwritten rules!

Phew, climbing off my soapbox and on to your question... (sorry Bud but you hit a hot button with me)

I think you might be surprised at how much Google or other search engines can help you. If you don't know how to search in Canada, try typing that in to Google. I do know how to research in Canada but to demonstrate what I mean, I typed in "How to do genealogy research in Canada" Up popped several helpful websites!

It's always a good idea to go to the country GenWeb site. So for Canada, type in "CANADA GENWEB" and visit the main site, then choose your Province of interest. Researching in any country you are not familiar with is similiar to your own.

You could take a shortcut if you are sure you need Alberta information, and jump right to the Alberta GenWeb pages by typing that into Google.

* You first find out WHAT is available in the location of interest. (You want Vital Stats after 1914)

* Next you find out WHERE those records are held (if they exist)

* Lastly you find out HOW to obtain the records - are they online, do you have to view them on microfilm, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment