Viewing Tip

If you see a large "X" at the top right of Ask Olive Tree Genealogy blog, click on the "X" to close it. Closing the "X" will give you the best viewing experience and allow you to leave a comment on a blog post

Friday, December 18, 2009

Finding Navy Records of an Ancestor

Marilyn's Question:
I am trying to find information about my mother's brother, Stanley Stewart Schultz, who seems to appear in only one record---the 1930 US Federal Census. He was incorrectly transcribed by as Stanley I Schultz. I have searched for Social Security records, death records, and any other information possible but can find nothing.

I know Stanley was born on March 24 (or 26) 1925. His parents names were Max M. and Gertrude Schultz. He married Lorraine Kutcher (Kutscher) in Hamburg (Buffalo) N.Y. in June in the mid-1940's . He had two children, Bruce Mitchell Schultz and Ward Allen Schultz (later adopted by a man named Brock). He lived on 51st St., Brooklyn, NY until the early 1950's when he and his family moved to a house in Glen Cove, NY. Stanley was a teacher, I believe at Tilden H.S., in Brooklyn. I looked at a yearbook from the school (online) but did not see him listed on staff.

Stanley served in the Navy in the 1940's (in Hawaii) but I don't know if he enlisted or was a draftee. I looked at muster rolls but I don't know the name of his ship and there are many Stanley Schultz's listed. Stanley died in a car accident on June 28, 1956 and is buried in Mt. Hebron Cemetery in Flushing, NY.

1.I thought that if I could find his Social Security information,including his SS number I could further my search about other ancestors, but it does not appear in the SSDI. Where else do I look?

2. How do I find other information about his naval background?

Ask Olive Answer
Hello Marilyn - you say you have found nothing but you have amassed quite a collection of data for Stanley. Have you checked local papers for an obituary? Or for the World War II announcements about local soldiers off to war, or safely returned? I suggest you try Newspaper Archives or GenealogyBank for their newspapers. Search or

As he died in 1956, he would most probably not appear in the SSDI; the records found in the index, with few exceptions, are from the 1962 and later. But that does not mean the Social Security records do not exist for him.

You have his birth and death dates; you can request a copy of his SS-5 from SSA

"Without an SSN, we will need the person's full name, date and place of birth, and parents' full names to locate the record. If you can provide the necessary identifying information, we will search for the number.

You may send your request to:

Social Security Administration
OEO FOIA Workgroup
300 N. Green Street
P.O. Box 33022
Baltimore, Maryland 21290-3022

You will be charged the cost of searching our records even if we are unable to locate any information on the person you are asking about. The fee for searching our records is $27 when the SSN is known and $29 when the number is unknown or is incorrect. The check or money order should be made payable to the Social Security Administration. We will also accept VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Diner's Club or Discover. Please include the appropriate credit card number, along with the expiration date of the credit card with your written request."

His Naval records may be ordered via the standard from 180

No comments:

Post a Comment