Viewing Tip

If you see a large "X" at the top right of Ask Olive Tree Genealogy blog, click on the "X" to close it. Closing the "X" will give you the best viewing experience and allow you to leave a comment on a blog post



Saturday, March 7, 2009

Hunting for great uncle from England living in British Columbia

Gayna asked:
I am hoping you can help me - in fact you are my last hope in finding my great uncle. His name was MAURICE DENIS WILSON and he was born May 1895 in Stockport, Cheshire, England. His parents were MARY BRADWELL & WILLIAM NOAH WILSON.

My last known piece of data is the 1911c for Cheshire when he was at an orphanage for warehousemen and clerks age 15. I know he went to live in Kelowna, BC, Canada and I remember him visiting England with big boxes of apples! I don't know the name of his first wife but when she died he married her nurse D'arcy (I don't know if that was a first name or surname) There was also an adopted daughter.

I think he died late 50s/early60s. Is there anyway you can help me, please?

Olive Tree Answer: Hi Gayna, I'm glad you gave me details, it makes it so much easier for me to figure out how I can help. I have good news! The Indexes to vital Records for British Columbia can be searched online at the British Columbia Archives. If you find Maurice, you can send for his full record (certified copy) from the British Columbia Vital Statistics Agency. You could also order a paper copy of the microfilm page with your ancestor's details from the British Columbia Archives.

Out of curiousity I had a quick look and found a marriage for a Maurice Dennis Wilson in 1929. Of course it might not be your man, the only way you would know for sure is to send for the full record which no doubt would give his parents' names

Vital Event Marriage Registration
Groom Name: Maurice Dennis Wilson
Bride Name: Lenna Nellie Ayliffe
Event Date: 1929 5 18 (Yr/Mo/Day)
Event Place: Glenmore
Reg. Number: 1929-09-361612
B.C. Archives Microfilm Number: B13758
GSU Microfilm Number: 2074554

But here is the really good news - I found Maurice's death

Vital Event Death Registration
Name: Maurice Dennis Wilson
Event Date: 1984 7 10 (Yr/Mo/Day)
Age: 89
Gender: male
Event Place: Kelowna
Reg. Number: 1984-09-011820
B.C. Archives Microfilm Number: B13640
GSU Microfilm Number: 2073193

Now you have some clues to use for your next step - I personally would hunt for an obituary for Maurice next. Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. You could also contact the British Columbia Genealogical Society or the Kelowna & District Genealogical Society. Members of research area genealogical societies most often have access and experience in searching the area's specific and specialized resources, in this case, birth, marriage and death registrations, cemetery transcriptions and obituaries, local histories, BC residents clipping files, etc. BCGS Website: www.bcgs.ca
    Kelowna & District Genealogical Society: www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bckdgs

    ReplyDelete