Viewing Tip

If you see a large "X" at the top right of Ask Olive Tree Genealogy blog, click on the "X" to close it. Closing the "X" will give you the best viewing experience and allow you to leave a comment on a blog post



Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Searching for an Ancestor with a common name

Brenda R asked this question:
I have been doing my Irish/English family history for more than 12 years and have got back to my great-grandmother's branch in County Durham England. Her father's name was JOHN JONES (natch) and it has been really a challenge to find out the true JOHN JONES!!!!

The facts I have I got from censii and RC Parish records in Blackhill @ St Mary's Chapel in Co Durham.I don't know his parents names or middle name or Catherine Clark's background. Ok here is my info.Would really appreciate any other facts on John Jones!!

JOHN JONES b. 1830 (circa) in England (I think) possibly in Middlesbrough. abt. 1850 he married: CATHERINE CLARK b. 1833 (circa) in Ireland or England

2 children - ALICE JONES b. 1858 abt, England and MARGARET ANN JONES b.1860 abt England (MY Great grandmother)

Olive Tree Answer: Hi Brenda, I sympathize with your challenge of a commmon name to research. You have checked a lot of sources but have you looked at Free BMD online? Free BMD contains indexes to England's Birth, Marriages and Deaths from 1837 on.

If John and Catherine married in England they should be found there. Finding them in an index means you can then send for their Marriage certificate from GRO (General Register Office). It will have both their father's names and occupations.

You mention you have information on the family from the census records but you don't say what years or locations you have found. If I were you I would systematically hunt for John and Catherine after their marriage in UK Census Records for 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1881 at least. Those will give you birth locations and other details.

No comments:

Post a Comment