Viewing Tip

If you see a large "X" at the top right of Ask Olive Tree Genealogy blog, click on the "X" to close it. Closing the "X" will give you the best viewing experience and allow you to leave a comment on a blog post



Saturday, January 10, 2009

Where can I find Irish Emigration Lists, 1833-1839

Don wrote on Jan. 6/09:
I have been trying to find William and Elizabeth Graham and their son William who immigrated to Canada from Ireland in the early 1830s.by browsing through the Ship Lists before 1865 which you suggested in your email of 11 December 2008 and came across - Irish Immigrants 1833 to 1839 which was not in your list of items to search. This information was found in the Royal Irish Academy in Dublin. In the book it listed Irish Immigrants. This was extracted from the Ordnance Memoirs for County Londonderry and Antrim by Brian Mitchell. I thought I copied down the list of Grahams which included Surname, First Name and Page No. but when I struck "control V" the list was not there. I have tried several times to get back to this site and have not been successful. Would you please help me find the URL?

MY ANSWER: Hi Don, I'm glad you asked this question! I sometimes forget what records I have transcribed and put on my various websites, and your question reminded me that this set of records is a good one that is sometimes missed by researchers.

The purpose of the Ordnance Survey of Ireland was to map the whole country. Each map was to have been accompanied by memoirs for every civil parish, but this was impractical and the idea was abandoned. Data was gathered for nineteen of Ireland's thirty-two counties, with the memoirs of Antrim and Londonderry the only ones with lists of emigrants.These lists were extracted and they identify the emigrant's destination and his place of origin in Ireland. The age, town and address, year of emigration, and religious denomination are given for each emigrant

On one of my smaller sites, I have placed the index of names from this book. You can consult the index at Irish Emigration Lists, 1833-1839, Lists of Emigrants Extracted from the Ordnance Survey Memoirs for Counties Londonderry and Antrim.

This index was done as a finding aid for researchers. The book is available in many libraries (In Salt Lake City Library it is 941.6 W2m and is available in FHL US/CAN Book and FHL BRITISH Book). Irish Emigration Lists, 1833-1839: Lists of Emigrants Extracted from the Ordnance Survey Memoirs for Counties Londonderry and Antrim can also be purchased through Amazon.com. Only by consulting the book will you see full details on an immigrant found in the index.

No comments:

Post a Comment