Viewing Tip

If you see a large "X" at the top right of Ask Olive Tree Genealogy blog, click on the "X" to close it. Closing the "X" will give you the best viewing experience and allow you to leave a comment on a blog post



Saturday, May 30, 2009

How to find an ancestor on a ship's passenger list to Australia

Question:
HI THERE I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT SHIP MY ANCESTER JOSEPH DOBSON ARRIVED IN AUSTRALIA ON I DO KNOW HE WAS ABOUT 14 AND ARRIVED IN 1838 APPARENTLEY WITH A ANN WILKS HE CAME FROM ROTHWELL, YOURKSHIRE, ENGLAND. CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY POINTERS .THANK YOU .CAROL
Hi Carol, May I gently suggest that you get rid of your ALL CAPS and type in normal size text when writing to others? It's very difficult to read a post in all caps.

For me personally it puts quite a strain on my eyes as I suffer from Cogan's Dystrophy, which is a disease that affects the cornea. On bad days I have very blurred vision and it is quite difficult for me to read. Also in the Internet world, ALL CAPS is considered shouting.

Now for your question. I do have a few ancestors who went to Australia from England to live for several years. So I have searched for ships passenger lists and the site I recommend is Cora Num's Immigration into Australia: Online Indexes and Passenger Lists Web Sites for Genealogists - An Australian gateway site for tracing your family history

Cora has an exhaustive collection of links to Australian Ships Passenger Lists, along with a nice explanation with each describing what you can at each site. It's a great starting point. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment