Viewing Tip

If you see a large "X" at the top right of Ask Olive Tree Genealogy blog, click on the "X" to close it. Closing the "X" will give you the best viewing experience and allow you to leave a comment on a blog post



Sunday, February 14, 2010

Figuring Out Titles after an Ancestor's Name

Vickie asked
I have looked on the Internet and have exhausted every avenue, but have been unable to find this information. My grandfather x5 was a land surveyor, amount other things. I have found several wills and deeds with him listed as witness. He signed his name Absalom Weathersbee, D.S. Would you happen to know what D.S. represents? Also, other witnesses used the title C.S. They were in North Carolina and South Carolina. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!

OLIVE TREE ANSWER: Dear Vickie, I actually do not know the answer to your question. But I'm going to make a guess.

DS could very well stand for "District Surveyor" and CS could mean "County Surveyor"

My hope is that other readers will be able to provide the right answer OR validate my guess! I'd like to know the answer to this question too.

No comments:

Post a Comment