Viewing Tip

If you see a large "X" at the top right of Ask Olive Tree Genealogy blog, click on the "X" to close it. Closing the "X" will give you the best viewing experience and allow you to leave a comment on a blog post

Friday, August 27, 2010

Recording Name Changes in a Genealogy Program

Barbara's question concerns listing names properly
How do you list birth name changed to Legal name? My birth name was Riley but Bradford was the name of my stepfather and the name I have used all of my life.
ASK OLIVE TREE RESPONSE: Dear Barbara, Can I assume you are talking about how to enter your name information in your genealogy program?

If so, then you have a few options. You can enter yourself with your birth name and list an AKA (also known as). You can enter the details in the notes section that applies to you.

If you prefer you could enter yourself with the name you've commonly used, and explain your birth name and details around your name changes in the Notes section.

It's really up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment